"...wE mUst bE thE chAnGe wE wiSh tO sEE iN thE wOrld..." K.G.

2/23/2010

KIDS- can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em...

my 2 sons who still live at home and will until they are 40 are at a fork in the road of their lives. they are both questioning their original career choice, and contemplating something else.... something they feel stronger about than what they first thought. i told them it is their life, and whatever they choose to do, they will be great at. i also told them to make big bucks for my travels in my old age follow the desire of their hearts, to think of something they would enjoy doing SO much they would still go in to work even if they call me crazy didn't need the money. in essence, "do what you love and the money will follow" [Louise Hayes].

they think i do not know anything are frustrated. they are impatient lil buggers that i could just slap confused and want the answer right now. they want to be there already.

i know that impatient angst. i had it myself when i put myself through college, when they were little. if i had given in to my impatience and become a stripper at the playhouse and gone full time to complete my bachelor's in nursing, i would have made So much more money... erm, well if i had the body for such a thing... missed out on so much precious time spent studying my ass off with sleep deprivation making memories with them, when they were little. instead, i chose to go to college part time, so i would have more time with them. i do not regret that. yes, it took me longer 6.5 years but it was worth it.

how do you explain that to a stubborn headed know-it-all teenager who wants it all and wants it right now? they think i don't understand but i do. why do teens think they are the first ones to ever feel the way they do and that old people such as parents could not possibly understand?

god, give me the patience to hold my tongue when all i want to do is nag-nag-nag and make them do it my way give advice. please give me the courage not to maim them before they leave home to let go and trust that you have your hand on the scruff of their necks their future.

and god, if you really are listening i can only hope please let me win the lottery so i don't have to work anymore. after all, you KNOW how much i would deserve enjoy a trip to your beautiful beaches to bask in the hot sun.. and visit those cute lil fruit and veggie markets in small villages in France and Italy.

but most of all, please guide my 4 children to discover what they were sent here to be. they are so cornfused all of the time right now.

crp

8 comments:

Busy Bee Suz said...

I suppose the only thing you can do is give your advice...once, maybe twice and tell them what YOU did and what YOU learned. Then let them be.
Hopefully the cornfusion will wear off soon.
We are so corny.

Anonymous said...

I know nothing about raising kids - I just wanted to say that "stripper at the playhouse" made me laugh. Oh and that I'm so impressed that you earned your degree while taking care of small chidlren. Well done!

Anonymous said...

LOL, I don't know why you cross out the good stuff...lol ;)

Hey, I'm still confused and would love to win the lottery too! Right?

joe said...

Well if it's any consolation to them, I'm 42 and still have no clue what to do with my life...

Claudine said...

I was once like your kids. Clueless to what I wanna do with my life. My parents helped guide me to the science field,and I discovered that I'm actually good at it, so I guess I should be really thankful to them.

Technodoll said...

You are VERY talented at writing, I know you know but I just had to point it out again!

As for kids, well, advice goes in one ear and out the other... they need to make those choices and mistakes for themselves so that they, in turn one day, can live through the same things with THEIR kids!

They are lucky to have you as their mama!
oxoxoo

jo.irish.rose said...

travel to france and itly????? ha ha lol, rollllling now on the floooooor, holding me bellies, like you would EVER get on and air eeee ooo plane, don't make me bark and wheez, toone, pleeeeeese, now i gotta go get me inhaler, thanks.....ooops, left a puddle too...see what you made me do? dang......i bet you are in the bathroom now, shaking your leg, just even thinking about getting on a plane, aren't you? when i told you i was flying out.....specially over a body of water, a BIG one....you almost fainted....if you won the lottery, you would have to take a boat, then di would have to sedate you, cuz you would be seasick for a week the time it would take to get to europe...i'm picturing it....ehhh mooo, i gotta go...i'm laughing all over again.....your just tooooo cute....soorry girls, she don't fly...or do boats....she gets nauseated.....poor lil thing...but we love her...don't we di?

J. Hi said...

They will understand one day, when they are in our position--raising stubborn kids. Until then, keep imparting your wisdom. ;)